Saturday, September 10, 2005

Castor Oil


So I spent some time this morning reading up on Castor Oil. Really, I was only curious what the proper dosage was for the induction of labor... the label only gave the basic laxative doses, and it actually said to consult a physician if pregnant or nursing (!). So I did what Angie suggested and googled "natural labor inducers" and found a nice big discussion board on Castor Oil.

It's a good thing I'm the type to read the instructions on something before I assemble... or swallow, as it would be in this case. The size of the bottle is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I was wondering if I had to chug the whole thing, or at least picturing that in my head. I found out that the dosage is really the same as it would be if you were using it only for laxitive purposes, 1-4 tablespoons.

People like to mix it with root beer, saying that the bubbles suspend the oil and help it go down undetected. But they say that there still is an aftertaste from the oil still coating the inside of your mouth, and to have a wet washcloth handy to wipe out your mouth afterwards... (gag) Some people say that peanut butter helps cover up the yucky oil taste the best, for those of us that are peanut butter lovers at least. I enjoy it mixed with other things, but by itself is a little overwhelming for me (it sticks to the roof of my mouth). One Castor Oil Cocktail recipe called for vodka (!?)... it's supposed to help absorb the oil better.

One thing they all agreed on was the "goopy", heavy consistancy of the oil. Much heavier than olive or vegatable oils. Many even noting that it has a texture. YUCK! I was mentally gagging pretty much the whole read.

But I am really glad that I did read it all. Not only because it saved me from downing the whole bottle at once, but also because I found that there seems to be a general concensus that this method of induction ONLY WORKS IF you are already dilated or if your cervix is what they call "ripe".

So I guess I don't have as much control in this as I had hoped. I am not dilated AT ALL... my cervix is still what they call "CLOSED".

So while my cervix is out of service.. I just have to remind myself that Samantha is a whole lot easier to take care of now then she will be later. And I can sleep, very well actually. Gotta be thankful for what I've got.

1 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I am glad you did some research because this all just sounds horrible. I thought people actually drank the whole bottle, too! Didn't they do that in the old days? Is today's castor oil more concentrated than yesterday's?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home